How did your child do for his or her CA 1? Does he or she need effective teaching and guidance to help him or her for the mid-year exams? Our English programme is fun, engaging and effective. Most of our pupils have done very well in their CA 1, with several of them topping their classes in school. Sign up fast as we have limited slots available and we will not be starting new classes. Here are our popular classes
Sec 3 Monday class 7.30pm- 4 places left
Sec 3 Saturday class 2.30pm – 1 place left
Sec 4 Saturday class 11am- full
Sec 4 Monday class 6pm- 4 places left
Pri 5 Monday class 4 pm- 2 places left
Pri 6 Tuesday class 6pm- 4 places left
Please call or text us at 8214603 for more information. You can also visit our website www.Mckaylan.com for class schedules and rates.
Here at Mckaylan, our pupils have benefitted immensely from our comprehensive English Programme. As such, many of them continue their lesssons with us year after year. Although we don’t have many classes (I teach most of the classes and thus there is a limit to the number of classes I can teach in a day), the pupils will plan their schedules around mine. We are very grateful for their strong support. Hence, we would be rewarding our loyal customers with Mckaylan vouchers.
Thank you for your unwavering support.
Chia Shi Juan (Pri 5 to Sec 4 2016)
Janel Teo (Pri 6 to Sec 4 2016)
Eunice Tan (Sec 1 to Sec 4 2016)
Leeroy Tay (Sec 1 to Sec 4 2016)
Keane Yeo (Sec 2 to Sec 4 2016)
Chong Waiteng Sec 4 since Pri 5
Breanna Koh Sec 3, since Pri 5
Seow Ding Xuan Sec 4, since Pri 5
Ryan Leow Sec 3 since Pri 4
Isabel Tay Sec 3 since Pri 4
Ryan Tay Sec 3 since Pri 5
Anisa Niareen, Sec 3 since Pri 6
Licia Tan Sec 2 since Pri 3
Phoedora Liew Pri 5 since Pri 3
Chloe Tan Pri 6 (2016) since Pri 4
Joshua Chua (Sec 3 to Sec 4 2016)
Yeo Bing Heng (Sec 3 to Sec 4 2016 )
Ong Kah Leong (Sec 3 to Sec 4 2016)
Jordan Ong (Sec 4 to Sec 5 2016)
Cassia Ng Sec 4 since Sec 1
Clement Ng Sec 4 since Sec 1
Isabel Lee Sec 4 since Sec 2
Darren Lee Sec 4 since Sec 2
Max Chan Sec 4 since Sec 1
Chloe Ong Sec 2 since Sec 1
Chen Hang Sec 3 since Sec 1
Ezenn Chong Sec 3 since Sec 1
Ace Chow Sec 3 since Sec 1
Vienna Loo Sec 1 since Pri 6
This is what we cover in our lessons. Our curriculum spans 11 months to cover the teaching of vocabulary, grammar, comprehension, writing and oral skills.
-We begin all lessons with a vocabulary list of ten words. After 4 lists, the pupils will sit for a test. Before each written test, there is a short game that the pupils play to help them remember the words that they would be tested in the written test.
For the rest of the lesson, the pupils work on different things based on our curriculum.
– We may work on grammar. For example, we will teach the pupils the various tenses and their usage. We also teach the various subject verb agreement rules, use of prepositions, phrasal verbs and other commonly tested grammar items. We usually use Powerpoint slides or videos to teach the rules before pupils complete a worksheet to reinforce their learning.
– We may also teach the rules behind different synthesis topics like ‘unless’, ‘neither nor’ and interchangeable word classes etc.
– We may cover comprehension skills like how to answer factual, inferential, language use and referencing questions etc. More in-depth teaching of skills is covered in our June workshops.
– We may also work on writing skills like how to write an effective introduction, Show not Tell, use of imagery and figurative language, character descriptions, creating suspense and tension in stories etc.
– We also use theme-based model compositions to teach writing skills as we believe pupils benefit immensely from them.
– Sometimes, we play games to reinforce learning. These are good opportunities to review what they have learnt and expand their vocabulary.
Children thrive on repetition. We have to keep repeating and reinforcing what we have taught. Pupils have to complete homework like cloze passages, editing or synthesis exercises. They have a termly test to ascertain how much they know. Practice papers are also given to help pupils hone the skills they have learnt. Every pupil gets a Behaviour Log which charts how they perform in each lesson. Once a month, I will show their parents the behaviour logs.
An example of a Pri 6 lesson
- Vocabulary list 6 (10min)
- Go through worksheets +homework (20 min)
- Comprehension skill: Referencing Selecting a phrase (30 min)
- Synthesis: Indirect speech (30 min)
- Homework: 2 cloze passages (turtles+kindness)