Why is your Child failing English despite going for tuition classes?
These are some reasons why pupils are failing English:
- Lack vocabulary
- Poor grasp of grammar
- Little awareness of writing skills
- Lack ideas for the expository and argumentative topics
- Unable to describe adequately and develop a sound plot for the narratives
- Do not have the skills to answer the comprehension questions
- Unable to give intelligent, well-elaborated answers for the oral exam
Most children don’t read much nowadays. Reading will expand one’s vocabulary, allowing one to see how difficult words are used in sentences. It will also help in writing and comprehension of texts. Thus, pupils need a well-tailored programme to boost their reading and writing skills and expand their vocabulary.
Here at Mckaylan, we have a comprehensive curriculum tailored to engender a love for the English language and equip the pupils with the tools needed to excel in it.
I am an ex-school teacher with 16 years of experience teaching English. I painstakingly put together a 11-month curriculum for every level from Pri 3 to Sec 4 to impart skills and engender a love for English in my pupils.
Pupils find my lessons interesting and enriching. Thus, they are able to excel in the subject in a short time.
My curriculum of 11 months consists of the following:
- Weekly vocabulary lists
- Monthly vocabulary tests
- Teaching of grammar items
- Teaching of writing skills
- Teaching of comprehension skills and answering techniques
- Theme based lessons (example: environment, health, family etc) to expand pupils’ vocabulary and general knowledge , aiding in writing and oral exams.
- Termly tests to ascertain learning outcomes
- Games, video and group work to enliven the lessons, generate interest and reinforce learning
Hi! Let me tell you more about myself. I guess by now you will know that I am the head tutor of Mckaylan Tutorial Centre. I taught in Ang Mo Kio Secondary School (AMKSS) ten years before I decided to set up my own tuiton centre. While I was at AMKSS, I taught mostly the upper Sec classes. I also began to specialise in curriculum planning and eventually became a Senior Teacher (specialising in English) in the school.
I love to teach. I enjoy preparing lessons and stimulating young minds to love English. I am heartened that many of my pupils have grown to love and excel in English after attending my lessons.
At Mckaylan, I plan the 11-month curriculum and come up with all the lessons and worksheets. I teach most of the classes myself as I really love to teach and would not like to be bogged down by administrative matters or I will be in MOE all over again. Most of my customers learn about me via word of mouth. It’s only recently that I am trying out google adwords. And when the children join us they usually continue with us till they graduate from Pri or Sec schools. I have watched so many grow and blossom into mature and sensible teenagers. Once I used to tower over them but now they are taller than me.
Anyway, I will be blogging more often. Please let me know if you have any queries and do leave your comments if you have any.
Hi! I’m Mrs Janice Chung, the head tutor of Mckaylan Tutorial Centre. I’ve created this blog for a myriad of reasons:
- Share useful tips
- Showcase pupils’ good works
- Showcase what goes on in our classrooms
- Connect with our pupils
I hope you will enjoy reading our blog.🙂