We are happy to have these 3 sisters (Otylia Sec 4, Odelia Sec 3, Amelia Pri 6) in our classes. They travel all the way from Woodlands to Bishan for our lessons. They are really good pupils: diligent, self-motivated and determined. Although they have only joined us recently, they have learnt a lot, picked up many skills and expanded their vocabulary. We look forward to seeing them excel in their English. Thank you for your lovely Teachers’ Day Card. We love it!
This composition was written by Caryl Lee, our Pri 4 pupil.
The topic is ‘An Unwelcome Visitor’. The pictures provided were a cat, a broom and children running in fear.
Amelia, a Pri 6 pupil from Evergreen Primary School, joined our centre in February. I was quite surprised that her mother chose us as they live in Woodlands. Her mother told me that although Amelia had a tutor, she had been failing her paper 2 English papers. I assured her that if Amelia worked hard, she would improve.
I am so happy to hear from Mrs Ong today that Amelia has shown a vast improvement. She has done very well in her Prelim exam, scoring an A, a first for her, since she was in Pri 5. In the past, she only scored 23/40 for her compositions. In her recent exam, she scored 33/40. What an improvement!
How did she do it?
Amelia pays great attention in class and is very diligent. She is very receptive to advice and works hard to improve.
This is what I did to help her improve:
- Expanded her vocabulary (weekly lists and monthly tests)
- Worked on commonly tested grammar items
- Taught her how to identify and tackle the various comprehension questions
- Taught her how to develop a solid plot, create suspense and describe emotions and characters
- Used guided compositions (proven to be most useful in helping pupils improve) to teach writing.
- Exposed her to many model essays. She gets lots of practices (at least 2 compositions a week) and constructive feedback.
- Gave her termly tests and practice papers.
I am elated with her results and her vast improvement.
I must thank Mrs Ong for believing in me and entrusting her 3 daughters to me. After signing Amelia up for classes, she also enrolled Odelia (Sec 3) and Otylia (Sec 4) for English tuition too.